Monday, February 23, 2009

Alfred S. Campbell Family History

Please contact me with any informaton on Alfred S. Campbell, Campbell Art Co., Campbell Studio.

Campbell Family History

Alfred S. Campbell – Photographer, Entrepreneur, born 1840, England, came to US 1866,
died in France but home in Elizabeth NJ, 1912)
Annie Campbell – wife (born 1843?)
Father was Irish Mother English.
Immediate Family:
Emma Campbell, (b 1866 - )
Minnie (1868 – 1880 or 1881)
Florence Campbell – (1870 -
Possibly married Gustave Gennert (owned photography patents, Montauk Photographic Manufacturing Co. with Alfred Campbell)
Lottie Campbell (1875 –
Isabella (Izzy) Campbell (1877 – 1915)- NY Times obituary claims died as Isabella Smith Campbell

Arthur P. Campbell (1872 – 1955?) - Family (from NY Times Obituary Dec. 8, 1955)–
Daughter:

Mrs. James W. Hand Jr. of Greenwich Village, NY
4 sons:
Alfred S. Campbell of Alrinton, VT;
William R. Campbell & Colin Campbell - city unknown
Fourth unknown


On 1880 Census their household also listed two dressmakers:
Mattie Higgins (1854 -
Annie Kline (1835 -

According to 1880 census, only Florence, Arthur and Lottie, were at school this year. The other family members were “at home”

When Alfred S. Campbell died his obituary claims he left a wife, son and only 3 daughters. I believe, Minnie passed and I am not sure which other daughter did not survive. Isabella died two years after Alfred.

Alfred S. Campbell made his home in Elizabeth, New Jersey. Last known(of Annie, widow) at 554 Madison Ave., Elizabeth, NJ.
In 1921 listing, Campbell Art Co. Art Printers were at 1144 Elizabeth Ave., Elizabeth, NJ, and son Arthur P. Campbell owned or worked for an ad agency at 546 Madison Ave., NY


8 comments:

  1. The price is a bit ridiculous, but you might enjoy seeing this:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Campbell-Art-Company-Photo-in-Relief-of-Woman_W0QQitemZ170314249249QQihZ007QQcategoryZ14279QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arthur P. Campbell is my great grandfather. His son Alfred S. Campbell Sr is my grand father. His son Alfred S. Campbell Jr. is my father and I am Joy Campbell. I'm interested in sharing information.
    Contact me at joyvdk@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning
      I picked up an original black and white of your grandfather's. I believe it is a tornado and a woman appears in the picture as well. Curious as to where is was taken.

      Delete
    2. Good morning
      I picked up an original black and white of your grandfather's. I believe it is a tornado and a woman appears in the picture as well. Curious as to where is was taken.

      Delete
    3. I found a 1900 print colorized in my aunt's brownstone in Philadelphia and just want to identify it

      Delete
  3. Nice posting, thanks for sharing with us. Your blog is great and helped me feel better knowing about the Printing Companies ny. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have a print of a photo of joan of arc with hands bound behind her back on a horse. In the corner it says "campbell/etc. elizabeth, nj". on the back it says "1500-17-F $100". Any idea how old this is and if it has any value"? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a print of the company mother with child in hand who is playing with her necklace would love to id

    ReplyDelete